January 15, 2009

My Blankie and Me



Rachel is still very attached to her blanket - it seems almost more now than a few years ago.  She says things like, "It's like my blanket is magic.  It makes me feel so good."  Other times she'd say, "It's like my blanket is a drug and I'm hooked on it."

My mom wrote that entry in her journal when I was eight years old.  I'm turning 26 in a couple of months and I'm still attached to my blanket.  As I drove up to my parent's house last week, I steered the car with one hand, while the other held a corner of my blanket to my nose - it was like magic and it made me feel so good.

I remember sitting on the couch watching Mr. Roger's Neighborhood.  Mr. Rogers was talking about drugs and why people got addicted to them.  At the young age of six or seven, I knew why people were addicted to drugs - it made them feel good.  And I knew my blanket was my drug... and I was hooked on it.  

My blanket is falling apart now.  I don't know if it will last another washing but I'm pretty sure I'm not ready to give up the comfort, peace, and security it still gives to me.  I guess I can't wash it.  

- Rachel White, Sandy, UT

6 comments:

laura said...

ah...that blanket. so many memories of you, your blanket....and high school. you are a child at heart dear rachelli (do you still have it?)....

xoxo
laurajcampbell

Adam & Ashley said...

That is so cute! Ana has her "snuggles" that she loves and will not sleep without.

Paul and Deborah Speed said...

LOL! Gross blankie.

The Mathews Family said...

I can picture you at every stage of your life with that cute blankie! I have to say the funniest thing is when you were home from school and your mom was hosting a family party. I walked into the theater and you were sitting in a chair, looking like a knock-out, with your glamorously gorgeous fingernail wrapped around that little corner piece and rubbing it against your nose. So funny! lol
-Jessica

Chelsie said...

Those pictures are fabulous! I forget that you guys lived somewhere else other than by us your whole life. I think that we all have something that we hold on to whether it is a blanket or stuffed animal or something that is really dear to our hearts. Thanks for sharing!

The Gentry Family said...

Aw, I have lots of memories of that little raggedy blanket! I can't believe you still have it. That is awesome!