March 10, 2009

My Clara Rival


A fun childhood memory was when I was picked to be Clara in our ballet's performance of the Nutcracker.  Wait, no I TIED with someone else.  Immediately she became my rival as I was brown-haired, brown-eyed, and she was blonde and blue-eyed.  For some reason I developed a deep sense of competition with my equally talented ballet classmate.  Not only did we compete to be Clara and tied, but then we had to draw to see who would perform on the big stage in a theater and who would perform next to Orange Julius in the South Towne Mall Food Court.  

We each drew a paper out of a top hat, and low - it wasn't meant to be.

Thus, me and my horrendous teeth performed in front of many Christmas shopping strangers, with the aroma of Hot Dog on a Stick in the air.

Why is this a happy memory you ask?  Because ten years later that particular ballet rival became my best friend, and we are still like sisters today.  Love you Deb.

- Lisa Marie Trent, Salt Lake City, UT

2 comments:

Paul and Deborah Speed said...

I like to refer to it more as Frenemies. HeHe. Love you too!

Lisa Marie Trent said...

Um, for fairness, can we get a picture of Deb in her pretty-peachy-pink dress up there?